1 any of numerous annual tendril-bearing trailing plants of the genus Cucurbita grown for their fleshy edible fruits [syn: squash vine]
2 edible fruit of a squash plant; eaten as a vegetable
3 a game played in an enclosed court by two or four players who strike the ball with long-handled rackets [syn: squash racquets, squash rackets] v : to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition; "crush an aluminum can"; "squeeze a lemon" [syn: crush, squelch, mash, squeeze] [also: squashes (pl)]
- British English /'skwɒʃ/
- American English /'skwɑʃ/
- Rhymes: -ɒʃ
- A game much like rackets, played in a walled court with soft rubber balls and bats like tennis rackets.
- A plant and its fruit of the genus Cucurbita, or
- Note: The species are much confused. The long-neck squash is called Cucurbita verrucosa, the Barbary or China squash, C. moschata, and the great winter squash, C. maxima, but the distinctions are not clear.
- A soft
drink made from a fruit-based concentrate diluted with
- When I'm thirsty I drink squash, it tastes much nicer than plain water.
- In the context of "obsolete|zoo": A muskrat, short form of musquash.
- Something soft and easily crushed; especially, an unripe pod of
- Not yet old enough for a man, nor young enough for a boy; as a squash is before 't is a peascod. --Shak.
- Hence, something unripe or soft; -- used in contempt.
- This squash, this gentleman. --Shak.
- A sudden fall of a heavy, soft body; also, a shock of soft
- My fall was stopped by a terrible squash. --Swift
game much like rackets
- Finnish: squash, kössi
plant and its fruit of the genus Cucurbita
- Finnish: kurpitsa
- Hungarian: tök
- To beat or press into pulp or a flat mass; to crush.
to beat or press into pulp or flat mass
- Finnish: murskata, puristaa, soseuttaa
Squash may refer to:
- Squash (plant), the fruit of vines of the genus Cucurbita
- Squash (sport), an indoor racket sport formerly called "squash racquets"
- Squash tennis, a similar game but played with equipment related more to that of tennis
- Squash (2002 film), an Academy Award-nominated short film about a squash game
- Squash (drink), a drink made of concentrated fruit syrup or fructose
- Squash (professional wrestling), an extremely one-sided match in professional wrestling
- SquashFS, a read-only file system
squash in Danish: Squash (flertydig)
squash in Korean: 스쿼시 (동음이의)
squash in Japanese: スカッシュ
squash in Norwegian: Squash
squash in Norwegian Nynorsk: Squash
squash in Simple English: Squash
squash in Swedish: Squash
abrade, annihilate, answer, answer conclusively, argue down, asphyxiate, assibilate, assibilation, atomize, bear, beat, black out, bottle up, bray, break into pieces, break to pieces, break up, brecciate, bruise, butter, buzz, cataplasm, censor, chew, choke, choke off, clamp down on, clay, comminute, confound, confute, contradict, contriturate, controvert, cork, cork up, crack down on, cram, crash, crowd, crumb, crumble, crunch, crush, cushion, cut to pieces, damp down, defeat, demolish, dental pulp, deny, diffuse, disintegrate, dismiss, disperse, dispose of, disrupt, drove, drown, dumbfound, ease, effervesce, effervescence, effervescing, extinguish, finish, fission, fizz, fizzle, fizzling, floor, flour, fluff, fragment, frication, frictional rustling, gag, gentle, grain, granulate, granulize, grate, grind, grind to powder, gumbo, hiss, hissing, hold down, horde, hugger-mugger, hush, hush up, hush-hush, hushing, jam, jump on, keep down, keep under, kill, knead, laxate, levigate, limber, limber up, lisp, loosen, macerate, make mincemeat of, mash, massage, masticate, mellow, milden, mill, mince, mire, mollify, muck, mud, muffle, multitude, mush, muzzle, nonplus, ooze, overthrow, overturn, overwhelm, paper pulp, parry, paste, pestle, pith, plaster, plump, porridge, poultice, pound, pour water on, powder, press, pudding, pulp, pulp lead, pulpify, pulpwood, pulverize, push, put down, put out, put to silence, quash, quell, quench, quiet, quieten, rag pulp, rebut, reduce to powder, reduce to silence, refute, relax, repress, rhonchus, sauce, scatter, scrunch, settle, shake up, shard, shatter, shiver, shred, shush, shushing, shut down on, shut up, sibilance, sibilate, sibilation, siffle, sigmatism, silence, siss, sissing, sit down on, sit on, sizz, sizzle, sizzling, slime, slip, slob, slop, slosh, sludge, slush, smash, smash all opposition, smash up, smother, sneeze, sneezing, sniff, sniffle, snore, snort, snuff, snuff out, snuffle, soft-pedal, soften, soften up, spit, splinter, splutter, sponge, sputter, squab, squeeze, squelch, squish, stamp out, stanch, sternutation, stertor, stifle, still, strangle, strike dumb, stultify, subdue, subvert, suffocate, sulfate pulp, sulfite pulp, supple, suppress, swill, swish, tenderize, throng, throttle, tone down, trample out, trample underfoot, triturate, tune down, undermine, upset, wheeze, whish, whistle, whistling, white lead, white noise, whiz, whoosh, wood pulp, zip